Monday 1 February 2021

On Holy New Year's Day: The Great Comfort of Jesus' Name

Jesus, be my only comfort, no matter what might be.
If I have you, I have all things: beloved Jesus Christ!
You, my strength and power, indeed my very life.
This year, let me be rooted in your grace, 
and let your great star-counsel prove powerful in deed.
Your grace, our faith, make all things possible.
To you, all human might and craftiness are spider webs.
Speak to my request your powerful word: it will be done!

My hope has bloomed so long: provide, this year,
new fruits of joy and good fortune. What more can I desire
when I possess this gift: your love-ignited blood!
Is anything on earth so costly, sweet and precious?
Dear Jesus-child, let me abide forever in your grace,
no matter what in this whole world might come.

Click here to see this sonnet in the original German.

On My Sweetest and Dearest Lord Jesus, at New Year's Time

  Jesus, first among the first, and yet without beginning, my soul's soul and spring, all nations' bliss and comfort! May the highes...